Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rave That Song in my Head: Katy Perry

Ever roll out of bed with a song on your lips. Happens to me all the time. My wife can attest and probably will at her trial after she finally "snaps". On rare occasions it's the whole piece that captures my subconscious but more often its just the hook or chorus that then plays more or less all day as a backdrop to the lunatic voices that keep me punching these keys and spouting to the masses.Well today its Katy Perry. I woke up this morning with Hot and Cold in my head and its been around all day. Katy's nerd-girl gospel cum lunatic approach is the perfect vehicle for this type of music. Hard biting lyrics in a goofy grape flavor just soft enough to blow bubbles for the kiddies. Amazing hook and well tuned instrumentally. Having listened to a lot of Katy's other work I think this one along with of course "I kissed a girl"gives a pretty decent glimpse into what made her the hot rock child of 2008

24 months later Katy Perry brought out the big guns once again for Teenage Dream again finding all the soft spots and grinding a "thumb" into them. In my opinion she's traded a little of her freshness for the music machine but still comes away with the clear complexion of youthful exuberance. Teenage Dream is not an anthem for the ages but in a world of imitations Katy still has a pretty solid hold on her sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment